Bending test is a test to determine the mechanical properties of materials under bending load, and it is one of the basic methods to test the mechanical properties of materials. Bending test is mainly used to determine the bending strength of brittle and low plastic materials (such as cast iron, high carbon steel, tool steel, etc.) and can reflect the deflection of plastic index. The bending test can also be used to check the surface quality of the material. As a professional reliability third-party testing organization, T, C&A Lab can perform bending tests on gray iron, ceramics, alloy and other materials according to ISO, ASTM and other standards.
T, C&A Lab's test methods include but are not limited to：
Three-point bending test
Three-point bending test is an experimental method to test the mechanical properties of metal bending, which is often used to test the specifications of related metal products. The specimen is placed on two support points with a certain distance, and the specimen is subjected to a downward load at the midpoint of the two support points. When the three contact points of the specimen form two equal moments, three-point bending will occur, and the specimen will fracture at the midpoint.
Four-point bending test
Four-point bending test is a test method to measure the bending properties of materials. The strip sample is placed horizontally in the bending test fixture to form a simply supported beam. The distance between the two lower support points of the supporting sample can be adjusted according to the length of the sample, and there are two symmetrical loading points above the sample. The bending moment of the test is uniformly distributed, and the test results are more accurate.
Samples T, C&A Lab can testing include but are not limited to:
Gray cast iron
The flexural performance of gray cast iron is better than the tensile performance, and the flexural strength is an important mechanical performance index of gray cast iron.
These materials are difficult to process and difficult to make into tensile specimens. The shape of the bending sample is simple, so the bending test is used to evaluate its performance and quality.
Ceramic materials and tool steel
It is difficult to measure the tensile strength of these brittle materials, and the sample processing is also difficult, so the bending test is adopted.
Surface heat treatment layer
Detect and compare the quality and performance of the surface heat treatment layer. Because the bending test is sensitive to material surface defects.
Materials under bending load
Detect the performance of materials under bending load, because many mechanical parts work under bending, it is necessary to perform bending tests on these parts.
Standards we test to
|ASTM E290||Standard Test Methods for Bend Testing of Material for Ductility|
|ISO 7438||Metallic Materials — Bend Test|
|ISO 7799||Metallic Materials — Sheet and Strip 3 mm Thick or Less — Reverse Bend Test|
|ISO 7801||Metallic Materials — Wire — Reverse Bend Test|
In addition, the experts in our Bending Testing Laboratory also provide a variety of custom tests as you need. Let's discuss the customized service with our experts for free.
Instruments and data
- Hein, P. R. G.; et al. Comparison between three-point and four-point flexural tests to determine wood strength of Eucalyptus specimens[J]. Maderas: Ciencia y Tecnología, 2018, 20(ahead):0-0.
- Deng, Y.; et al. In-situ micro-cantilever bending test in environmental scanning electron microscope: Real time observation of hydrogen enhanced cracking[J]. Scripta Materialia, 2017, 127(Complete):19-23.
T,C&A Lab's services include, but are not limited to
Note: this service is for Research Use Only and Not intended for clinical use.
- Inductively Coupled Plasma Atomic Emission Spectroscopy (ICP-AES)
- X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) Testing
- X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (XPS) Testing
- Infrared Spectroscopy Testing
- Ultraviolet Spectrum (UV) Testing
- Mass Spectrometry Testing
- Micro-Raman Spectroscopy Testing
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Testing
- Elemental Analysis
- Structural Characterization
- Morphology & Size Analysis
- Corrosion Inhibitor Testing
- Crevice Corrosion Testing
- Electrochemical Corrosion Testing
- Galvanic Corrosion Testing
- High Pressure High Temperature (HPHT) Corrosion Testing
- Hydrogen Embrittlement Testing
- Intergranular Corrosion (IGC) Testing
- Pitting Corrosion Testing
- Salt Spray Testing
- Sour Service Corrosion Testing
- Stress Corrosion Cracking (SCC) Testing
- Sulfide Stress Cracking (SSC) Testing
- Thermal Analysis
- Mechanical Testing
- Non-Destructive Testing
- Performance Testing
- Pharmaceutical Testing
- Chemical Analysis
- Case Depth Testing and Analysis
- Grain Size Analysis
- Particle Size Distribution Analysis and Testing
- Coating Thickness Testing
- Inclusion Rating
- Ferrite Testing
- Porosity Testing
- Grain Flow Testing and Analysis
- Weld Testing
- X-Ray Diffraction (XRD) Analysis
- Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) Laboratory
- Harmful Substances Testing
- Reverse Engineering & Deformulation
- Karl Fischer (KF) Moisture Testing
- Industrial Problem Diagnosis
- Ingredient Analysis