Case Depth Testing and Analysis
In order to modify the surface of the metal material to improve its hardness, wear resistance or corrosion ability, the surface is carburized, nitrided, carbonitrided, boronized or surface quenched. The microstructure determines the macro performance of the metal material, and the case depth determines the area affected by the specific performance. As a professional reliability third-party testing organization, T,C&A Lab can perform case depth testing on metals according to ISO, ASTM and other standards. Welcome to contact our experts for consultation.
T,C&A Lab's methods for determining case depth
This method is usually only suitable for carburized cases, but may be used for cyanided or carbonitrided cases. The procedure includes determining the carbon content at each depth below the sample surface. This method is considered to be the most accurate way to measure the total case depth.
Flow: Layer by layer sampling--chemical analysis--calculation
Generally, this method is considered as one of the most advanced and accurate case depth measurement methods. This is the preferred method to determine the effective case depth and can be effectively used for all types of hardness case.
Flow: Cutting--polishing--hardness testing--drawing hardness curve--calculation
It can be divided into macroscopic metallographic method and microscopic metallographic method.
Macroscopic metallographic method: It is recommended to use the magnification method to determine the case depth. It has the added advantage of being applicable to all types of cases.
Microscopic metallographic method: Microscopic methods are usually used in lab and need to be fully set up for polishing, etching and microscopic examination. The examination is usually carried out at 100 diameters.
Flow: Cutting--polishing--erosion--drying--observation and evaluation
Standards we test to
|ASTM B934||Standard Test Method for Effective Case Depth of Ferrous Powder Metallurgy (PM) Parts Using Microindentation Hardness Measurements|
|ASTM B721||Standard Test Method for Microhardness and Case Depth of Powder Metallurgy (P/M) Parts|
|ASTM B931||Standard Test Method for Metallographically Estimating the Observed Case Depth of Ferrous Powder Metallurgy (PM) Parts|
In addition, the experts in our Case Depth Testing Laboratory also provide a variety of custom services as your needs and requirements. Let's discuss the custom service with our experts for free.
Instruments and data
- Łępicka, et al. The initial evaluation of performance of hard anti-wear coatings deposited on metallic substrates: thickness, mechanical properties and adhesion measurements – a brief review[J]. REVIEWS ON ADVANCED MATERIALS SCIENCE, 2019, 58(1):50-65.
- Czerwinski, F. Thermochemical Treatment of Metals[M]// Heat Treatment - Conventional and Novel Applications. 2012.
T,C&A Lab's services include, but are not limited to
Note: the service is for research use only and not intended for any clinical use.
- Inductively Coupled Plasma Atomic Emission Spectroscopy (ICP-AES)
- X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) Testing
- X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (XPS) Testing
- Infrared Spectroscopy Testing
- Ultraviolet Spectrum (UV) Testing
- Mass Spectrometry Testing
- Micro-Raman Spectroscopy Testing
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Testing
- Elemental Analysis
- Structure Identification
- Flame Resistance Testing
- Electrical Properties Testing
- Optical Properties Testing
- Testing of Magnetic Materials
- Morphology & Size
- Material Properties
- Corrosion Inhibitor Testing
- Crevice Corrosion Testing
- Electrochemical Corrosion Testing
- Galvanic Corrosion Testing
- High Pressure High Temperature (HPHT) Corrosion Testing
- Hydrogen Embrittlement Testing
- Intergranular Corrosion (IGC) Testing
- Pitting Corrosion Testing
- Salt Spray Testing
- Sour Service Corrosion Testing
- Stress Corrosion Cracking (SCC) Testing
- Sulfide Stress Cracking (SSC) Testing
- Thermal Analysis
- Mechanical Testing
- Composite Testing
- Non-Destructive Testing
- Material Characterization
- Performance Testing
- Polymer Material Analysis
- Pharmaceutical Testing
- Chemical Analysis
- Case Depth Testing and Analysis
- Grain Size Analysis
- Particle Size Distribution Analysis and Testing
- Coating Thickness Testing
- Inclusion Rating
- Ferrite Testing
- Porosity Testing
- Grain Flow Testing and Analysis
- Weld Testing
- X-Ray Diffraction (XRD) Analysis
- Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) Laboratory
- Restricted Substances Testing
- Reverse Engineering Service
- Industrial Problem Diagnosis
- Ingredient Analysis