Eddy Current Testing (ECT)
Eddy current testing is a non-destructive testing method based on the principle of electromagnetic induction, which is suitable for conductive materials. When the detection coil with alternating current is close to the conductive test piece, the test piece will cause eddy current due to the action of the magnetic field of the coil. The size, phase and fluidity of the eddy current are affected by the electrical conductivity of the test piece, and the reaction of the eddy current changes the impedance of the detection coil. Therefore, by detecting the change of the coil impedance or the change of the induced voltage on the coil, we can find out whether the material is defective or not. The two major applications of eddy current testing are surface inspection and tubing inspections. As a professional reliability third-party testing organization, T,C&A Lab can provide eddy current testing service according to ISO, ASTM standards and industry requirements. Welcome to contact our experts for consultation.
Analysis and testing capabilities of eddy current testing
- Crack detection
- Material thickness measurements
- Coating thickness measurements
- Conductivity measurements for: material identification, heat damage detection, case depth determination, heat treatment monitoring
Eddy current testing can inspect the following materials
Main applications of eddy current testing
- Detect defects in materials and components, such as cracks, folds, pores and inclusions.
- Measure the conductivity, permeability, grain size, heat treatment, hardness and size of the material.
- Mixing and sorting of metal materials or parts. The purpose of sorting is achieved by examining the differences in composition, microstructure and physical properties.
- Measure the thickness of non-metallic coatings on metal materials, non-ferromagnetic coatings on ferromagnetic materials.
- In the case of no direct measurement, it can be used to measure the thickness of metal foils, plates and pipes, and to measure the diameter of pipes and bars.
Standards we test to
- ASTM E376-19, ASTM E2884-17, ASTM E2934-14, ASTM E1004-17, ASTM E690-15, ASTM E1312-18, ASTM E243-18, ASTM E1606-20, ASTM E309-16
- ISO 15549, ISO 12718, ISO 20669, ISO 17643, ISO 10893-2, ISO 20890-5
In addition, the experts in our Eddy Current Testing (ECT) Laboratory also provide a variety of custom services as your needs and requirements. Let's discuss the custom services with our experts for free.
Instruments and data
- Hwang, B.; et al. Eddy current imaging for electrical characterization of silicon solar cells and TCO layers. Smart Materials and Nondestructive Evaluation for Energy Systems 2015. Vol. 9439. International Society for Optics and Photonics, 2015.
T,C&A Lab's services include, but are not limited to
Note: this service is for Research Use Only and Not intended for clinical use.
- Inductively Coupled Plasma Atomic Emission Spectroscopy (ICP-AES)
- X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) Testing
- X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (XPS) Testing
- Infrared Spectroscopy Testing
- Ultraviolet Spectrum (UV) Testing
- Mass Spectrometry Testing
- Micro-Raman Spectroscopy Testing
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Testing
- Elemental Analysis
- Structural Characterization
- Morphology & Size Analysis
- Corrosion Inhibitor Testing
- Crevice Corrosion Testing
- Electrochemical Corrosion Testing
- Galvanic Corrosion Testing
- High Pressure High Temperature (HPHT) Corrosion Testing
- Hydrogen Embrittlement Testing
- Intergranular Corrosion (IGC) Testing
- Pitting Corrosion Testing
- Salt Spray Testing
- Sour Service Corrosion Testing
- Stress Corrosion Cracking (SCC) Testing
- Sulfide Stress Cracking (SSC) Testing
- Thermal Analysis
- Mechanical Testing
- Non-Destructive Testing
- Performance Testing
- Pharmaceutical Testing
- Chemical Analysis
- Case Depth Testing and Analysis
- Grain Size Analysis
- Particle Size Distribution Analysis and Testing
- Coating Thickness Testing
- Inclusion Rating
- Ferrite Testing
- Porosity Testing
- Grain Flow Testing and Analysis
- Weld Testing
- X-Ray Diffraction (XRD) Analysis
- Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) Laboratory
- Harmful Substances Testing
- Reverse Engineering & Deformulation
- Industrial Problem Diagnosis
- Ingredient Analysis