Particle Size Distribution Analysis and Testing
Particle size distribution usually refers to the proportion of particles with a certain particle size or a certain range of particle size in the whole powder. The particle size and its distribution of the powder depend on the powder preparation process, which has a great influence on the behavior of powder forming and sintering. The final product properties are sometimes directly related to the powder particle size and particle size distribution. Therefore, doing a good job of particle size measurement is a very important aspect to ensure the quality of powder metallurgy products. As a professional reliability third-party testing organization, T,C&A Lab can perform particle size distribution analysis and testing on metal powder according to ISO, ASTM and other standards. Welcome to contact our experts for consultation.
T,C&A Lab's test methods include but are not limited to:
Let the powder sample pass through a series of standard sieves with different sieve holes, separate it into several particle grades, and weigh them separately to obtain the particle size distribution expressed as a mass percentage. It is suitable for particle size distribution between 0.02～100mm. Electrodeposition sieve (microporous sieve) can reach 0.005mm.
Sedimentation method is generally divided into the centrifugal sedimentation method and the gravity sedimentation method. The sedimentation method is accompanied by the particle classification process during the test. Large particles settle first, and small particles settle later. Therefore, the test result has a high resolution, especially for irregular particle distribution or "multi-peak" micro-distribution, the advantages of this method are more prominent.
Microscopy is the use of a microscope to observe the size and shape of particles, measuring the apparent size of the particles, that is, the projected size of the particles. This method is not only used to test the particle size, but also to calibrate the data obtained by other test methods.
Inductance counting method
Inductance counting method, also known as resistance method, Coulter counting method, etc., its principle is based on the principle of microhole resistance. The particle size distribution is tested according to the principle that when the particles pass through a small micropore, it occupies part of the space in the small micropore and discharges the conductive solution in the small micropore and changes the resistance at both ends of the micropore.
Laser scattering method
Static Light Scattering: Fraunhofer diffraction will occur when the laser passes through the measured particles, and the distribution of diffraction light produced by particles with different particle size varies with the angle. The particle size distribution can be calculated according to the diffraction energy distribution of laser passing through the particles and the corresponding diffraction angle. The larger the particle size is, the smaller the scattering angle is.
Dynamic Light Scattering: Also known as PCS method, its testing principle is based on the Brownian motion and dynamic light scattering theory of fine particles in solution.
Electric ultrasound method
The electro-ultrasonic method mainly uses the ultrasonic pulse to penetrate the sample to propagate. By testing the attenuation of the broadband ultrasonic pulse, the particle size distribution that is functionally related to the attenuation can be calculated.
Standards we test to
|Standard for Testing Particle Size Distribution of Metal Powders and Related Compounds by X-Ray Monitoring of Gravity Sedimentation
|Standard for Estimating Average Particle Size of Metal Powders and Related Compounds Using Air Permeability
|ASTM B 822
|Standard for Testing Particle Size Distribution of Metal Powders and Related Compounds by Light Scattering
|Standard for Testing Particle Size Distribution of Refractory Metal Powders and Related Compounds by Turbidimetry
|Determination the Particle Size of Metallic Powders by Dry Sieving
|Determination the Particle Size Distribution of Metallic Powders by Gravitational Sedimentation in a Liquid and Attenuation Measurement
In addition, the experts in our Particle Size Distribution Analysis and Testing Laboratory also provide a variety of custom services as your needs and requirements. Let's discuss the custom service with our experts for free.
Instruments and data
- Si, W.; et al. Polydimethylsiloxane/aluminum oxide composites prepared by spatial confining forced network assembly for heat conduction and dissipation[J]. RSC Advances, 2018, 8(63):36007-36014.
- Joao, G.R.P.; et al. Production of metallic copper powder by autocatalytic reaction in suspension[J]. Materials Research, 2006, 9(2):131-135.
T,C&A Lab's services include, but are not limited to
Note: this service is for Research Use Only and Not intended for clinical use.
- Inductively Coupled Plasma Atomic Emission Spectroscopy (ICP-AES)
- X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) Testing
- X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (XPS) Testing
- Infrared Spectroscopy Testing
- Ultraviolet Spectrum (UV) Testing
- Mass Spectrometry Testing
- Micro-Raman Spectroscopy Testing
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Testing
- Elemental Analysis
- Structural Characterization
Morphology & Size Analysis
- Optical Microscope (OM) Testing Services
- SEM/EDS Testing Services
- Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM) Lab Services
- Scanning Tunneling Microscopy (STM) Lab Services
- Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM) Lab Services
- Auger Electron Spectroscopy (AES) Lab Services
- Surface Analysis
- Layer Compression Test
- Cross Cut Test
- Color/Gloss Measurement
- Surface Roughness Test
- Corrosion Inhibitor Testing
- Crevice Corrosion Testing
- Electrochemical Corrosion Testing
- Galvanic Corrosion Testing
- High Pressure High Temperature (HPHT) Corrosion Testing
- Hydrogen Embrittlement Testing
- Intergranular Corrosion (IGC) Testing
- Pitting Corrosion Testing
- Salt Spray Testing
- Sour Service Corrosion Testing
- Stress Corrosion Cracking (SCC) Testing
- Sulfide Stress Cracking (SSC) Testing
- Thermal Analysis
- Mechanical Testing
- Non-Destructive Testing
- Performance Testing
- Pharmaceutical Testing
- Chemical Analysis
- Case Depth Testing and Analysis
- Grain Size Analysis
- Particle Size Distribution Analysis and Testing
- Coating Thickness Testing
- Inclusion Rating
- Ferrite Testing
- Porosity Testing
- Grain Flow Testing and Analysis
- Weld Testing
- X-Ray Diffraction (XRD) Analysis
- Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) Laboratory
- Harmful Substances Testing
- Reverse Engineering & Deformulation
- Karl Fischer (KF) Moisture Testing
- Industrial Problem Diagnosis
- Surface Tension Tesing
- Ingredient Analysis