Pitting Corrosion Testing
In some environmental media, after a period of time, most of the surface of metal materials does not corrode or corrodes very slightly, but in small areas of the surface, corrosion holes appear, and as time goes by, the corrosion holes continue to develop in the depth direction and form small hole-like corrosion pits, this phenomenon is called pitting corrosion. The pitting corrosion geometry constitutes the structure of large cathodes and small anodes, causing the anodic dissolution rate of the corrosion holes to be quite large, which can quickly lead to corrosion perforation damage. In addition, pitting corrosion can aggravate other types of local corrosion, such as intercrystalline corrosion, stress corrosion cracking, corrosion fatigue, etc. T,C&A Lab provides you with pitting corrosion tests for stainless steel/alloy and metal products used in energy, aerospace, infrastructure, environment and industry to verify whether pitting corrosion occurs in metal materials, evaluate the pitting resistance of materials, and provide reference for material selection.
The test solutions we provide include but are not limited to:
Measuring the size, shape and density of pitting corrosion pits
Visual inspection: observe the corroded metal surface visually or with a low-power magnifying glass. The degree of corrosion and the surface location of the pit can be determined.
Non-destructive observation: radiography, electromagnetic method, sonic method, seepage method.
Measure the degree of pitting corrosion
Weight-loss, pitting corrosion depth (metallographic method, mechanical method, measurement with sounding gauge or micrometer, microscopic method)
Pitting corrosion evaluation
Standard chart method, the pit is rated according to density, size and depth according to the standard chart.
Metal piercing method
Loss of mechanical properties
Standards we test to
|ASTM G48 Method A||Ferric Chloride Pitting Test|
|ASTM G48 Method C||Test Methods Critical Pitting Temperature Test for Nickel-base and Chromium-bearing Alloys|
|ASTM G48 Method E||Test Methods Critical Pitting Temperature Test for Stainless Steels|
|ASTM G46||Standard Guide for Examination and Evaluation of Pitting Corrosion|
In addition, the experts in our Pitting Corrosion Testing Laboratory also provide a variety of custom tests as you need. Let's discuss the customized service with our experts for free.
Instruments and data
- Westin, E. M.; et al. Effect of nitrogen-containing shielding and backing gas on the pitting corrosion resistance of welded lean duplex stainless steel LDX 2101®(EN 1.4162, UNS S32101). Welding in the World 57.4 (2013): 467-476.
- Wang; et al. Pitting Corrosion of Thermally Aged Duplex Stainless Steels at Different Temperature for Long Time. Materials Research 22.6 (2019).
- Ghahari; et al. Synchrotron X-ray radiography studies of pitting corrosion of stainless steel: Extraction of pit propagation parameters. Corrosion Science 100 (2015): 23-35.
T,C&A Lab's services include, but are not limited to
Note: this service is for Research Use Only and Not intended for clinical use.
- Inductively Coupled Plasma Atomic Emission Spectroscopy (ICP-AES)
- X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) Testing
- X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (XPS) Testing
- Infrared Spectroscopy Testing
- Ultraviolet Spectrum (UV) Testing
- Mass Spectrometry Testing
- Micro-Raman Spectroscopy Testing
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Testing
- Elemental Analysis
- Structural Characterization
- Morphology & Size Analysis
- Corrosion Inhibitor Testing
- Crevice Corrosion Testing
- Electrochemical Corrosion Testing
- Galvanic Corrosion Testing
- High Pressure High Temperature (HPHT) Corrosion Testing
- Hydrogen Embrittlement Testing
- Intergranular Corrosion (IGC) Testing
- Pitting Corrosion Testing
- Salt Spray Testing
- Sour Service Corrosion Testing
- Stress Corrosion Cracking (SCC) Testing
- Sulfide Stress Cracking (SSC) Testing
- Thermal Analysis
- Mechanical Testing
- Non-Destructive Testing
- Performance Testing
- Pharmaceutical Testing
- Chemical Analysis
- Case Depth Testing and Analysis
- Grain Size Analysis
- Particle Size Distribution Analysis and Testing
- Coating Thickness Testing
- Inclusion Rating
- Ferrite Testing
- Porosity Testing
- Grain Flow Testing and Analysis
- Weld Testing
- X-Ray Diffraction (XRD) Analysis
- Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) Laboratory
- Harmful Substances Testing
- Reverse Engineering & Deformulation
- Karl Fischer (KF) Moisture Testing
- Industrial Problem Diagnosis
- Ingredient Analysis