Ultrasonic Testing (UT) Service
Ultrasonic testing is also called ultrasonic flaw testing. It is a type of non-destructive testing used to determine the location and relative size of defects.
Ultrasonic testing is a non-destructive testing method to test the internal defects of materials by using the energy changes of ultrasonic propagation waveform reflection and penetration time due to the differences in acoustic properties of materials and their defects. This detection method can not only be used to detect defects, but also can be used to measure the thickness of specimens, and further make use of the difference in the penetration of sound waves in the material or the change of sound velocity, which can be used to analyze the physical properties, grain size or microstructure of the material. As a professional reliability third-party testing organization, T,C&A Lab can provide Ultrasonic Testing (UT) Service according to ISO, ASTM standards and industry requirements. Welcome to contact our experts for consultation.
Methods of ultrasonic testing
According to the coupling method, ultrasonic testing is divided into contact method and immersion method.
- Contact Ultrasonic Inspection
In the detection method where the probe is in direct contact with the test object, generally a coupling agent must be added between the two to drive away the air and facilitate the transmission of sound waves into the test object. Contact ultrasonic inspection is suitable for slow-speed or manual detection because the probe is in direct contact with the detection surface, and the friction between the probe hinders the sliding of the probe.
- Immersion Ultrasonic Inspection (IUT)
When the detection object is not suitable for contact ultrasonic inspection with probe because of the limitation of shape, the surface is too rough or thin, the immersion ultrasonic inspection can be used. Immersion ultrasonic inspection is suitable for high-speed automatic detection because the probe is not in direct contact with the detector.
Ultrasonic testing objects and thickness ranges
Ultrasonic testing is suitable for the inspection of raw materials and parts of pressure equipment such as plates, composite plates, carbon steel and low alloy steel forgings, pipes, bars, austenitic stainless steel forgings, etc., as well as butt welds, T-welds, fillet welds and surfacing layers of pressure equipment.
|Ultrasonic testing object||Thickness range, mm|
|Carbon steel, low alloy steel, nickel and nickel-based alloy plates||Base metal is 6~250.|
|Aluminum and aluminum alloy plates, titanium and titanium alloy plates||Thickness is ≥ 6.|
|Carbon steel, low alloy steel forgings||Thickness is ≤ 1000.|
|Stainless steel titanium and titanium alloy, aluminum and aluminum alloy, nickel and nickel alloy composite plate||The thickness of the substrate is ≥ 6.|
|Carbon steel, low alloy steel seamless steel pipe||The outer diameter is 12~660, and the wall thickness is ≥ 2.|
|Austenitic stainless steel seamless steel pipe||The outer diameter is 12~400, and the wall thickness is 2~35.|
|Carbon steel, low alloy steel bolt parts||Diameter is > M36.|
|Full penetration fusion welding steel butt weld||The thickness of the base metal is 6~400.|
|Butt welds of aluminium and aluminium alloy pressure vessels||The thickness of the base metal is ≥ 8.|
|Butt welds of pressure vessels made of titanium and titanium alloys||The thickness of the base metal is ≥ 8.|
|Circumferential weld of carbon steel and low alloy steel pressure pipe||The wall thickness is ≥ 4.0, the outer diameter is 32~159, or the wall thickness is 4.0~6, and the outer diameter is ≥ 159.|
|Circumferential weld of aluminum and aluminum alloy pipe||The wall thickness is ≥ 5, the outer diameter is 80 ~159, or the wall thickness is 5.0~8, and the outer diameter is ≥ 159.|
|Austenitic stainless steel butt weld||The thickness of base metal is 10~50.|
Advantages of ultrasonic testing
- The penetration ability is large, for example, the effective detection depth in steel can reach more than 1 meter.
- For plane defects such as cracks, interlayers, etc., the detection sensitivity is high, and the depth and relative size of the defects can be determined.
- The equipment is light, safe and easy to realize automatic inspection.
Standards we test to
- ASTM E2375-16, ASTM E164, ASTM E114, ASTM E213, ASTM E 273, ASTM E2580, ASTM E3167, ASTM D7006, ASTM E3044, ASTM E2700, ASTM E3170
- ISO 17577, ISO 23865, ISO 23243, ISO 4992, ISO 7963, ISO 17405, ISO 12715, ISO 16946, ISO 19675, ISO 5577, ISO 16831, ISO 16828, ISO 16827, ISO 16826, ISO 16823, ISO 16811
In addition, the experts in our Ultrasonic Testing (UT) Laboratory also provide a variety of custom services as your needs and requirements. Let's discuss the custom services with our experts for free.
Instruments and data
T,C&A Lab's services include, but are not limited to
Note: this service is for Research Use Only and Not intended for clinical use.
- Inductively Coupled Plasma Atomic Emission Spectroscopy (ICP-AES)
- X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) Testing
- X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (XPS) Testing
- Infrared Spectroscopy Testing
- Ultraviolet Spectrum (UV) Testing
- Mass Spectrometry Testing
- Micro-Raman Spectroscopy Testing
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Testing
- Elemental Analysis
- Structural Characterization
- Morphology & Size Analysis
- Corrosion Inhibitor Testing
- Crevice Corrosion Testing
- Electrochemical Corrosion Testing
- Galvanic Corrosion Testing
- High Pressure High Temperature (HPHT) Corrosion Testing
- Hydrogen Embrittlement Testing
- Intergranular Corrosion (IGC) Testing
- Pitting Corrosion Testing
- Salt Spray Testing
- Sour Service Corrosion Testing
- Stress Corrosion Cracking (SCC) Testing
- Sulfide Stress Cracking (SSC) Testing
- Thermal Analysis
- Mechanical Testing
- Non-Destructive Testing
- Performance Testing
- Pharmaceutical Testing
- Chemical Analysis
- Case Depth Testing and Analysis
- Grain Size Analysis
- Particle Size Distribution Analysis and Testing
- Coating Thickness Testing
- Inclusion Rating
- Ferrite Testing
- Porosity Testing
- Grain Flow Testing and Analysis
- Weld Testing
- X-Ray Diffraction (XRD) Analysis
- Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) Laboratory
- Harmful Substances Testing
- Reverse Engineering & Deformulation
- Industrial Problem Diagnosis
- Ingredient Analysis